Thursday, January 27, 2011

Choosing a Personal Trainer

Washington DC, where I’ve lived for the past six years, had approximately six inches of snow fall last night.  I realize that for a large part of the country, six inches of snow would barely make a mention in the paper.  However, I’m convinced that DC stole the “What to do in case of snow” page out of another city’s handbook – that city being Los Angeles.  A few inches can turn the city on its head.  I’d warned clients that sessions might be cancelled because of the weather, but I allowed myself a little extra time and made it to work.  I started to write about not letting obstacles, such as weather, get in the way of working out.  But the whole thing started to seem rather self-promoting.  It began to feel very Bob-Harper-The-Biggest-Loser-I’m-here-to-give-you-back-your-life mixed with a little Jerry-Maguire-help-me-help-you.  And that is, most definitely, not me.  I’m more of the “Don’t give me excuses; if I made it, you can make it” trainer.  (That line is number three in my “If I can, you can” series, following “If I’m not tired, you’re not tired,” and the classic, “If I can lose weight, you can lose weight.”).  Nevertheless, it started me on the following train of thought.

1.        Find a trainer who is nationally certified.  It seems obvious, yet as training is still a relatively new industry, there is no regulation stating that a trainer must be certified.  Ask.  Some of the better known certification agencies are the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), and American College of Exercise (ACE).
2.       Work with a full-time trainer.  This might be a rather controversial statement, as there are many part-time trainers, but it’s my professional opinion.  Full-time trainers, those who make a career out of training, are generally better educated and more dedicated to providing a quality service.  I don’t go to a part-time hair stylist, and I certainly wouldn’t see a part-time dentist.  Why would you trust your body to part-time trainer?
3.       If you’re in a gym, observe the trainers before hiring one.  Is the trainer there when you’re there?  What type of exercises does he choose for his clients?  Is he focused on the client during the session?  Does he look professional?  Do his clients seem to like him?  The trainers are out in the open for you to watch.  Spend a little time before committing to one.  Sure, gym employees might start referring to you as “The Stalker,” but, trust me, it’ll be worth it. 
4.       Get referrals.  Ask the gym regulars whom they would recommend, even if they aren’t training clients.  They, too, have been observing the trainers and usually form fairly on point opinions as to our strengths and weaknesses.  If you’re leaning towards one trainer in particular, ask to speak with one or more of her current clients.  Inquire about the trainer’s history of being late, cancelling sessions, and whether she listens to her clients’ goals and concerns.
5.       Decide in advance the training style that will work for you.  I am not a “drill-sergeant” trainer.  I am not going to put my foot on your back while you do push-ups and demand that you “give me five more.”  If that’s the type of trainer you want, please don’t hire me.  We will both be disappointed and frustrated with our sessions.  Ask the trainer about his style, or ask the director or training manager to recommend someone with a compatible style.
6.       Schedule a session with the trainer.  Try out the trainer for one session before committing to any longer period of time.  Some personalities, styles, or schedules just don’t mesh.  But, like any relationship, don’t ask the trainer to commit a lot of time and effort to you before you decide you’re just not into him.

No comments:

Post a Comment